The annual prize for an article on family history, offered as a tribute to the late Hugh Kearsey, previous OFHS President, is open for entries. This award was introduced in 2022 to recognise high quality family history research. It also acknowledges the contribution made by Hugh Kearsey to family history research in Oxfordshire and beyond, and to the Oxfordshire Family History Society (OFHS) in particular.
Entrants must be a member of OFHS and the entries must be submitted by 30 March 2023 by post (see below) or ideally via email to email@example.com
About the Article
Please submit a previously unpublished article about an aspect of family history. It is not necessary for it to have an Oxfordshire basis. All entrants must be members of OFHS and membership applications are always welcomed. The winning entry will be published in the OFHS journal, the Oxfordshire Family Historian (OFH).
The article should:
- be of interest to readers of the OFH. It should tell a story and not just list findings, and may contain a family tree or other illustrations, as appropriate.
- describe the process of research and give sources and references. It must contain original research not substantially published elsewhere, and involve sources not freely available i.e. go beyond what is accessible on commercial websites.
- be no more than 2500 words.
Judging and Prizes
The submitted articles will be judged by an invited panel with a first prize of £100 for the article which best fits the above criteria. Further runner up prizes of £50 and £25 may be awarded at the discretion of the panel. The judging panel also reserves the right to make no awards.
- OFHS will be granted joint copyright of all submissions.
- Entries, whether a winner or not, may be published in the journal and may
be edited before publication.
- The entrant needs to have the copyright permission (where applicable) and permission to use any images.
The closing date for entries is 30 March each year. The winning entry will be announced at the AGM in June and published in the December edition of the OFH.
All entries to be sent to the Membership Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to:
OFHS Membership Secretary,
c/o Oxfordshire History Centre