The Hugh Kearsey Award
Win £100 prize for your family history article
We are seeking entries for the Hugh Kearsey Award. This is a new award to recognise high quality family history research. It also acknowledges the contribution made by Hugh Kearsey to family history research in Oxfordshire and beyond, and to the Oxfordshire Family History Society (OFHS) in particular.
We ask entrants to submit a previously unpublished article about an aspect of family history. It is not necessary for it to have an Oxfordshire basis. All entrants must be members of OFHS. Join OFHS here. The winning entry will be published in the OFHS journal, the Oxfordshire Family Historian (OFH).
The article should:
– be of interest to readers of the OFH. It should tell a story and not just list findings, and may contain a family tree or other illustrations, as appropriate.
– describe the process of research and give sources and references. It must contain original research not substantially published elsewhere, and involve sources not freely available i.e. go beyond what is accessible on commercial websites.
– be no more than 2500 words
Judging and Prizes
The submitted articles will be judged by an invited panel with a first prize of £100 for the article which best fits the above criteria. Further runner up prizes of £50 and £25 may be awarded at the discretion of the panel. The judging panel also reserves the right to make no awards.
– OFHS will be granted joint copyright of all submissions.
– The winning article will be published in the OFH and the Editor may decide to publish any entry in the OFH whether a winner or not. (The articles may be edited for publication.)
– The entrant needs to have the copyright of or permission to use any images.
The closing date for entries is 30th March each year. The winning entry will be announced at the AGM in June and published in a later issue of the OFH.
All entries to be sent to the Membership Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Membership Secretary, OFHS
c/o Oxfordshire History Centre